27.9.05

Narrative Assignment -- Dante's Valentine Narrative



Valentines Day!

Well, this topic brings back so many memories yet one seems to remain at the top of all the rest. I guess we can begin on the night before Valentines Day of 2002. As a junior at Redwood High School, I decided that I was going to do something special for the girl of my dreams. Others thought it was pure insanity but I didn’t care what anyone else thought or how much they doubted me.

The night before Valentines Day I went out to buy a dozen red roses, a balloon that read “be mine,” and a box of chocolates. The next morning, I showed up early to school and walk to her first period class from the parking lot. I could feel everyone I passed by looking at me with wondering eyes. My friends approached me with endless questions as I broke down [EL1] what I was about to do. Before I knew it, there was a crowd of people behind me. I walked in to her class to exchange a few words with the teacher. I asked him to invite Caitlin to do a math problem on the board exactly at ten minutes passed eight. The scene was set and it was only a matter of time until I had to execute my plan.

The bell rang at eight o’clock and I went to my first period class. I requested to leave for a few moments at 8:10 and was granted my request. I sat in my chair preparing myself both mentally and physically. The time had come. I excused myself from class and began my venture up the stairway with everything occupying both my hands. As I approached the class, I noticed a group of people standing beside the door. The rumor spread faster than I could ever imagine and now I new I couldn’t back down.

I reached out to open the door and stepped inside the classroom. Everything was exactly as I had planned. Caitlin was in the front of the class doing some sort of math problem on the board. I began to walk towards her, smiling. I could hear laughter in the background full of 26-30 students, they were whispering back and forth. I took one step after another until I was standing inches away from her.

I spoke for a few moments sharing with the class that I had long wished to tell her how I felt about her. “You know there is one big reason I am standing here today and that is to ask you one question, so here it goes.” These were the words that I spoke before I did the most surprising thing of all.

I got down on one knee and simply said “Caitlin, will you be my Valentine?”

As I stood there barely breathing, waiting for the answer that would make my day, yet at the same time prepared for the answer that would destroy my intentions. The next few minutes seemed like hours, as I glanced into her eyes and held her hand, the whole class went from laughter to disbelief, to absolute silence in a matter of milliseconds. I could hear my own heart beat, thump thump, thump, thump. I remember thinking to myself what am I doing? Am I nuts? A million thoughts went through my head as I observed her laugh off the shock and begin to speak. The time had come.

In a gentle voice she spoke these words…

“I would love to be your Valentine and thank you for this special gift, but…” She paused.

At first my eyes lit up brighter than any star in the sky in the darkest of nights, my smile so full of life I cannot describe in words how relieved I was, and then the word “but,” the word that scared me the most appeared out of thin air. I still held that smile, hoping for the best. “I have a boyfriend,” she said. My heart sank to the floor faster then I could remember as I caught someone in the front of the class room shed a tear in the corner of my eye.

I stood up still smiling, I knew that regardless of the result, I did what I came there to do. I received the most exhilarating hug from Caitlin and still keep in touch with her to this very day. I learned that life doesn’t always turn out as you planned and that you should always prepare for the worst yet hope for the best. Most importantly, if you really want something, and I mean really want something, you have to risk it all, and go out and get it, otherwise life will only be a series of unfulfilled dreams and wonders.

Yes, it was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, but I can also say that I left that classroom with a story that I will continue to tell for the rest of my life.